The Planning Department Manager will oversee the Planning Department; direct and/or participate in all stages of plan development including analysis, presentations, public participation, client meetings, policy and best practice research; develop and maintain client relationships; and identify and assist with marketing efforts.
• Oversight and management of the Planning Department. This includes both in-house personnel as well as those working off site.
• Establish an over-arching department marketing plan, identifying TYLIs current position in various market sectors, a strategy to maintain and grow within current market sectors, identification of target market sectors, evaluation and identification of current group skills and strengths, and identification of additional skills and/or personnel needed to continue growth in current market sectors and to pursue target markets.
• Coordination of marketing efforts with the Regional Director, Operations Manager, department managers, other key leadership, and marketing group.
• Develop and maintain existing Client relationships. Identify and develop Client relationships for targeted market sectors.
• Serve as Project Manager, Lead Planner, and/or other project roles as necessary.
• In coordination with the marketing department, prepare the technical portion of proposals.
• Assign planning staff to on-going project roles and project pursuits. Identify needed support from other departments or provide support to other departments. Coordinate these efforts with the department heads.
• Identify project staff for project pursuits, including all disciplines/roles necessary for the project. Coordinate with the appropriate departments.
• Assure that Quality Assurance/Quality Control is being performed on every project in accordance with TYLI Corporate, Line of Business, Central Region, and project specific policies.
• Serve as technical resource to project, department, and office staff. Address technical questions/issues.
• Review, or oversee review, of work performed by the department including technical and project management tasks. Coordinate with other departments and/or senior staff to assist in reviews, as needed.
• Develop project and department staffing projections on a monthly basis, at a minimum. Make assignments to department staff. Monitor workloads and assignments to maintain utilization rates of staff.
• Perform and/or assist in client negotiations regarding project scopes of work, fees, and contract terms.
• Monitor project budgets and schedules. Prepare financial forecasts for projects in accordance with company policy.
• Coordinate with Project Accountant on project set-up, monitoring, progress reports, re-budgeting, supplements, subconsultant agreements, insurance requirements, accounts receivable, and invoicing.
• Assist with identification, interviewing, and hiring of planning personnel.
• Coach/mentor/train planning staff. Develop staff for advancing in their careers. Identify opportunities and make appropriate recommendations for advanced project roles of deserving staff.
• Perform or assign annual employee reviews. Coordinate with other departments for input on planning staff. Make recommendations for promotions and salary increases.
• Identify and recommend resource needs (hardware/software, library materials, etc.), as well as training opportunities.
A Master’s degree in Urban Planning is preferred with 15 or more year’s municipal transportation and environmental planning experience. Must have a broad knowledge base in urban planning with a transportation focus, including GIS and comprehensive transportation and land use planning, and specific knowledge in complete streets, bicycle and pedestrian planning. AICP certification required. Experienced in traffic impact studies, parking studies, and transportation projects that include public transportation and non-motorized transportation elements. Strong writing abilities and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, and time management skills are required.
TYLI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage Minorities, Women, Disabled and Veterans to apply.